Unconventional or " off label " use of modern [ post 1945] weapons

upload_2019-7-21_17-47-23.jpeg

M42 Duster used in Vietnam in a support role against unarmored ground targets.

upload_2019-7-21_17-53-21.jpeg

The 4 Ohio class SSBNs converted to SSGNs. Each one carries up to 154 Tomahawk cruise missiles. They also used 2 missile tubes for SEAL lockout and storage.

Last edited:
A LOT of american stuff designed to kill soviet tanks spent its actual service life blowing up irregular light infantry.

Same with the British Army - £65,000 Javelin missiles being used to target lone men on motorbikes wasn't really the best use of Liz's cash...

An Air D dense Artillery unit in Viet Nam had an M-163 Vulcan (Vulcan mounted on APC) in a convoy attacked by VC. The high rate of 20 mm high explosive was apparently quite an unwelcome surprise.

The South Korean army had Vulcans on border. A South Koreanpatrol was fired upon. The PVT or Corporal on gun immediately engaged North Korean bunker without higher approval. He obliterated bunker and was immediately hauled off to Seoul by MPs. There he was promoted to Sergeant and given appropriate commendation. Tale was told to me by SGM of 2ID Frontline Brigade.

Last edited:

Khanzeer

Banned
Yankee class was converted to SSN, and maybe one to SSGN but I think there were no cruise missiles added to this.

The open battle of the Falkland Islands war, you had the Royal Marines using a Carl Gustov recoil-less rifle as anti-shipping ordnance. Didn't sink the ship they were shooting at...but they did more than scorch the paint.
RPGs have been used as anti-helicopter weaponry.

Khanzeer

Banned
I've heard that indians used the An12 antonov as a bomber in their wars with pakistan

And recently antonov transports been used as bombers in sudan ? Is that true?

marathag

Banned
I've heard that capability was built-in to the design, and nuclear-armed Nike Hercules were planned to be used in that role in Europe if the Soviets decided to come visiting.

And those had a 40kiloton warhead for that use. Many of the ones based in densely populated CONUS metro areas had 2kt or 625 pound HE warheads than the standard 20kt warhead that the more rural bases had

I'm not finding a detailed description anywhere, but Egyptian SA-2 batteries reportedly tried to shoot Israeli tanks in the Yom Kippur War, out of desperation when the batteries were being over-run. Apparently they did not hit anything.

About the only bad thing you could say about the Bren gun was that it was to accurate for a LMG . It had too small a beaten zone apparently . My dad got to fire them back in the late 60's in OZ and he mentioned some being capable of very impressive groupings out to 1000 yds .

That is my understanding also. I have the Osprey book on the Bren. The author writes that every former Bren gunner he spoke to, had a smile on their face when discussing it. They comment that is not their usual experience when discussing weapons! :cool:

Israeli Pereh long range tank destroyer, mostly used for targeting militants before UAVs started doing the same job.

A lot of airliners got turned into AWACS, tankers, submarine chasers, SIGINT platforms.

Probably the most extreme is the Air Tractor AT-802. Designed as a crop duster, now marketed as a heavily armed COIN attack aircraft.

MILAN anti-tank missiles used in an anti-bunker role, apparently during the falklands war.

Syrian rebels using old heavy machine guns and anti-aircraft guns to make anti-material rifles in the 14.5mm to 20mm category, and on a similar note, the L-39 anti-tank rifle being used as an extreme long range sniper rifle.

MILAN anti-tank missiles used in an anti-bunker role, apparently during the falklands war.

Syrian rebels using old heavy machine guns and anti-aircraft guns to make anti-material rifles in the 14.5mm to 20mm category, and on a similar note, the L-39 anti-tank rifle being used as an extreme long range sniper rifle.

One of the drivers for the UK Sniper programme that lead to the L96 was that the existing Enfield snipers were just not accurate enough to shoot through slits in bunkers so they had to resort to using MILAN instead.