Blue Skies in Camelot (Continued): An Alternate 80s and Beyond

Great post, Mr. President, as always :). A question, @President_Lincoln: Will the Udall administration create legislation or law that would increase government investment in vocational/trade schools? Something that would encourage and support young people in going into blue-collar jobs to help America sustain a healthy number of blue-collar workers?

That's a excellent question and idea genius! I second it as well. Make it so Mr. President!
A great question, indeed!

At the moment, education reform isn't quite at the top of the Udall Administration's list of priorities. Though Udall certainly supports trade and vocational schools, his biggest legislative goal (assuming he wins that second term in 1980) is passing a tax reform bill that will close loopholes and keep rates on higher earners high, possibly even creating new brackets at the highest end incomes, while lowering them slightly for middle and working class families. If there is still money to be had in the federal budget after all that, then I could definitely see Udall supporting such an initiative.

At the moment, education reform isn't quite at the top of the Udall Administration's list of priorities. Though Udall certainly supports trade and vocational schools, his biggest legislative goal (assuming he wins that second term in 1980) is passing a tax reform bill that will close loopholes and keep rates on higher earners high, possibly even creating new brackets at the highest end incomes, while lowering them slightly for middle and working class families. If there is still money to be had in the federal budget after all that, then I could definitely see Udall supporting such an initiative.
Let's hope President Udall win his re-election in 1980 and prevent Reagan to ever become US President.

Udall has a better chance than Jimmy Carter did but something tells me it will be a VERY heated race.

And important; Potter Stewart retires in 81 so that might give more room to put a liberal on the court if Udall wins. If Udall continues the policy he can arrest the right wing somewhat.

It's definitely something he should look at I hope that education in TTL is at least somewhat better than the education system in OTL

Udall has a better chance than Jimmy Carter did but something tells me it will be a VERY heated race.

And important; Potter Stewart retires in 81 so that might give more room to put a liberal on the court if Udall wins. If Udall continues the policy he can arrest the right wing somewhat.
If Reagan does end up the nominee you can bet it'll become a heated race but he will have a tough time. MO Udall more popular than Jimmy Carter (And I say that as a personal fan of his, not really as a politician but as a human being). I can see Udall winning but it will probably be narrower than when he was elected though I don't see it being a razor thin margin but you know Reagan he may inflame enough passion to make it over 200 electoral votes

Thanks for the reply, Mr. President. Another question, @President_Lincoln : What is the TTL's situation of the top American car manufacturers (the big four: GM, Ford, Chrysler, and AMC)? Have they reform themselves, or do they still remain complacent and end up still producing shoddy products, leading to them getting eaten alive by German and Japanese competition who produce good products?

If Reagan is running for US President, who will be his Vice President? Anyone guesses geniuses?
Probably someone from the moderate wing of the Republicans. If both the presidential and vice presidential nominees are fervent right-wingers, then the GOP could kiss goodbye to "Middle America" (meaning centrist) votes.

Thanks for the reply, Mr. President. Another question, @President_Lincoln : What is the TTL's situation of the top American car manufacturers (the big four: GM, Ford, Chrysler, and AMC)? Have they reform themselves, or do they still remain complacent and end up still producing shoddy products, leading to them getting eaten alive by German and Japanese competition who produce good products?
Hope for the American Automobile Industries to change their mindset for a more greener, safe, and electric vehicles. I always love those 1960s-1970s Vehicles' Design of being like a land yacht, classic, elegant, and eye-catching. Now ITTL with the proposal for making vehicles smaller to decreased the use of oil, it will now be the way to the future. It's for the best you say genius, in favor for mass transportation, walkable cities, increasing the use of bicycles not just for exercise but to get to work as well, creating and expanding city parks, and making highways decreased from its width.

If Reagan is running for US President, who will be his Vice President? Anyone guesses geniuses?
Probably someone from the moderate wing of the Republicans. If both the presidential and vice presidential nominees are fervent right-wingers, then the GOP could kiss goodbye to "Middle America" (meaning centrist) votes.
Maybe Bob Dole?
Richard Schweiker was his running mate during his OTL 1976 campaign

A Sneak Peak into the GOP in 1980...

Maybe Bob Dole?

Richard Schweiker was his running mate during his OTL 1976 campaign

I guess he could work
All will be revealed in good time, of course... To give a bit of a sneak peek into the Republican primaries in 1980, though Reagan is expected to be far and away the frontrunner (and as a result, many would-be candidates are sitting this year out), he is not the only candidate gearing up for the race. Other Republicans interested in mounting a bid for the nomination include:

1. Bob Dole - Moderate to conservative Senator from Kansas and the chairman of the RNC for the past several years, Dole will (probably) make for a pretty lackluster candidate compared to Reagan. He's not nearly as charismatic, for one thing. What Dole does have, is connections in Washington, and a unique strategy. He hopes to appeal to the more moderate wing of the party and sell himself as a champion of compromise compared to the more openly right-wing Reagan. How that will fare in a party primary, rather than a general election... Only time will tell. There's something of an "electability" argument that Dole will try to make.

Bob_Dole.jpg

2. Al Haig - An interesting one, and also a longshot. Alexander Haig is, ITTL, NATO's Supreme Allied Commander Europe, as of May 1979. Having previously served in the Korean War, then as an aide to Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara, then again as a battalion commander in Cambodia, General Haig has won a number of medals, becoming a highly decorated officer. He later served in the Romney and Bush administrations, even becoming National Security Advisor for a time under the latter. Another case of "bipartisan credential" flexing, Haig will try to mount a foreign policy-centered campaign, talking about "winning" the Cold War.

220px-General_Alexander_Meigs_Haig%2C_Jr.jpg

3. Richard M. Nixon - I know, I know. You must be thinking: "Lincoln, have you gone mad?! Nixon's been out of elected office for nearly twenty years! He failed to win the GOP primary in '68 against Romney, then had a pretty lackluster turn as Secretary of State before being unceremoniously sacked by President Bush after the fiasco where Nixon and National Security Advisor Henry Kissinger tried to stage a coup in Chile without the President's knowledge or consent." And... yeah, that's all true. But Nixon ITTL has grown increasingly paranoid and increasingly isolated. He's extremely bitter for all the "mistreatment" he feels he's received at the hands of "elitists" like Bush and the Kennedys. Old Tricky Dicky will be 67 years old in 1980. A couple years younger than Reagan, even. If there's even a chance that he might be able to win the nomination, or even influence the outcome at the convention, he might just be deluded enough to try.

nixon-1986-png.328990

I repeat, all three of these other candidates are considered long shots by most in the political world. Reagan should have this thing sewn up, right?

Last edited:
All will be revealed in good time, of course... To give a bit of a sneak peek into the Republican primaries in 1980, though Reagan is expected to be far and away the frontrunner (and as a result, many would-be candidates are sitting this year out), he is not the only candidate gearing up for the race. Other Republicans interested in mounting a bid for the nomination include:

1. Bob Dole - Moderate to conservative Senator from Kansas and the Senate Minority leader for the past several years, Dole will (probably) make for a pretty lackluster candidate compared to Reagan. He's not nearly as charismatic, for one thing. What Dole does have, is connections in Washington, and a unique strategy. He hopes to appeal to the more moderate wing of the party and sell himself as a champion of compromise compared to the more openly right-wing Reagan. How that will fare in a party primary, rather than a general election... Only time will tell. There's something of an "electability" argument that Dole will try to make.

Bob_Dole.jpg

2. Al Haig - An interesting one, and also a longshot. Alexander Haig is, ITTL, NATO's Supreme Allied Commander Europe, as of May 1979. Having previously served in the Korean War, then as an aide to Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara, then again as a battalion commander in Cambodia, General Haig has won a number of medals, becoming a highly decorated officer. He later served in the Romney and Bush administrations, even becoming National Security Advisor for a time under the latter. Another case of "bipartisan credential" flexing, Haig will try to mount a foreign policy-centered campaign, talking about "winning" the Cold War.

3. Richard M. Nixon - I know, I know. You must be thinking: "Lincoln, have you gone mad?! Nixon's been out of elected office for nearly twenty years! He failed to win the GOP primary in '68 against Romney, then had a pretty lackluster turn as Secretary of State before being unceremoniously sacked by President Bush after the fiasco where Nixon and National Security Advisor Henry Kissinger tried to stage a coup in Chile without the President's knowledge or consent." And... yeah, that's all true. But Nixon ITTL has grown increasingly paranoid and increasingly isolated. He's extremely bitter for all the "mistreatment" he feels he's received at the hands of "elitists" like Bush and the Kennedys. Old Tricky Dicky will be 67 years old in 1980. A couple years younger than Reagan, even. If there's even a chance that he might be able to win the nomination, or even influence the outcome at the convention, he might just be deluded enough to try.

nixon-1986-png.328990

I repeat, all three of these other candidates are considered long shots by most in the political world. Reagan should have this thing sewn up, right?

I don't see a way for any of those candidates to beat Reagan in the nomination process unless something big happens that causes Reagan to drop out of the race. I don't see it

I don't see a way for any of those candidates to beat Reagan in the nomination process unless something big happens that causes Reagan to drop out of the race. I don't see it
Same. I see former Vice President Reagan as the most likely nominee for the 1980 GOP nomination.

Something big like John Hinckley Jr., perhaps? Hinckley did target Carter in October 1980 IOTL so there's no reason why he couldn't target Reagan earlier ITTL, or just go through with his plan to target the President (who is Udall ITTL). There's the quite the chance that Udall survives and the bump in the polls from the assassination attempt so close to the election might give him an edge.

Something big like John Hinckley Jr., perhaps? Hinckley did target Carter in October 1980 IOTL so there's no reason why he couldn't target Reagan earlier ITTL, or just go through with his plan to target the President (who is Udall ITTL). There's the quite the chance that Udall survives and the bump in the polls from the assassination attempt so close to the election might give him an edge.
An assassination attempt on Udall already happened in the 76 election I don't see another one happening in 80.

1. Bob Dole - Moderate to conservative Senator from Kansas and the Senate Minority leader for the past several years, Dole will (probably) make for a pretty lackluster candidate compared to Reagan. He's not nearly as charismatic, for one thing. What Dole does have, is connections in Washington, and a unique strategy. He hopes to appeal to the more moderate wing of the party and sell himself as a champion of compromise compared to the more openly right-wing Reagan. How that will fare in a party primary, rather than a general election... Only time will tell. There's something of an "electability" argument that Dole will try to make.

Bob_Dole.jpg

nixon-1986-png.328990

Hmm.....interesting...
I agree that Reagan's raw charisma likely makes him the front-runner....
But with Nixon shaking things up at the convention, he might just stir up enough of a ruckus that Bob Dole gets the nod instead.
Dole vs. Udall would certainly make for one of the most civil and low-key election cycles in.......well ever....which would be a refreshing change of pace.

"Do you want the Repubbpbpbbpblican Party to become inseparably synonymous with crackpot Ayn Rand disciples like Goldwater and cowboy-with-a-monkey over here?! Because making him the candidate for President is exactly how you fuckin' do that! Aroo!"
- Richard Nixon (probably), ITTL 1980 RNC rant

And one more Republican hopeful!
I would be remiss to not mention...

4. Charles H. Percy - Probably the strongest possible heir to the liberal "Romney Republicans", Senator Percy of Illinois is nationally known for his acumen on business, tax, and foreign policy issues. For all the aging "Yaffers" running around demanding the nomination be handed to Reagan on a silver platter, Percy is "their father's Republican". Eisenhower-esque in terms of his preference for moderation and slow, steady social and cultural progress, Percy once said of Malcolm X's autobiography, "I enjoyed it a lot. I think every white person in America should read it." All that being said, the "Eastern Establishment" of "Country-club Republicans" who make up Percy's prospective base are growing weaker and weaker with each subsequent Republican primary. As the culture wars mentioned in Chapter 124 really heat up, Percy runs the risk of appearing too liberal. Indeed, that sort of Republican plays well in purple states, but in an increasingly conservative primary? Tough to say.

Percy-Charles.jpg