Blue Skies in Camelot (Continued): An Alternate 80s and Beyond

Huh, so that’s AT&T stands for, never knew that. In other news, Canada still struggles to kick the recession as America once more finds a surge in their economy. When it rains in Canada, it pours.

Discord could have been called Wyvern, tumblr could have been called Bonfire, Current could have been a YouTube competitor instead of a last minute MSNBC competitor...
872d8a58-fed1-4e72-b682-9b5a91381b96_text.gif
Additionally, Twitter could have been called SMSSY (as in SMS text messages.) Not sure if its any better than X, though... And website homepages starting with "www" was actually a mistake! Originally, www.cern.ch was supposed to be used solely for the pages about the World Wide Web project at CERN, and info.cern.ch was supposed be the main landing page, but they accidentally got swapped around, so the use of www stuck.

AeroTheZealousOne

Monthly Donor
Did anybody get a chance to see the eclipse yesterday?
I did! I was lucky to have the opportunity to both live in the path of totality AND to visit family who lived within it. I chose the latter, largely for an extra minute of totality but because I don't get to see my mother than much nowadays.

It was beautiful, the golden glow of sunset in all directions, the dimness of the mid-afternoon, the chill in the air... once in a lifetime indeed, a shame it's not more often but I'm glad I got to experience it. I didn't cry but if something even more miraculous happened then I might've. I wouldn't go so far as to call the day perfect but all things considered it was really damn good. Took a lot of photos, shame I didn't personally get a really good one of the eclipsed sun though. Admittedly it's going to take a few days to get over experiencing something this awesome.

Needless to say the eclipse glasses are going into my box of keepsakes, and I hope everyone had a great day, even if it was experienced in partial or even through a livestream on another continent! :)

Last edited:
I did! I was lucky to have the opportunity to both live in the path of totality AND to visit family who lived within it. I chose the latter, largely for an extra minute of totality but because I don't get to see my mother than much nowadays.

It was beautiful, the golden glow of sunset in all directions, the dimness of the mid-afternoon, the chill in the air... once in a lifetime indeed, a shame it's not more often but I'm glad I got to experience it. I didn't cry but if something even more miraculous happened then I might've. I wouldn't go so far as to call the day perfect but all things considered it was really damn good. Took a lot of photos, shame I didn't personally get a really good one of the eclipsed sun though. Admittedly it's going to take a few days to get over experiencing something this awesome.

Needless to say the eclipse glasses are going into my box of keepsakes, and I hope everyone had a great day, even if it was experienced in partial or even through a livestream on another continent! :)
I'm glad you got to experience totality. It's almost hard to believe we have to wait 21 years to experience anything like it again.

Hypothetical question for everybody, since there's a good chance the democrats perform well in 1982, How many seats is everybody thinking they'll gain in the house and the senate?

Hypothetical question for everybody, since there's a good chance that the Democrats perform well in 1982 ITTL, How many seats is everybody thinking they'll gain in the House and the Senate?
With President RFK leading the country in his first year in office ITTL, he's off already to a start. His handling the issues in both domestic and foreign were impressive and I predict that his polls were still high after surviving an assassination attempt in 1981 ITTL. We don't know it yet what President RFK would face in the future whether foreign or domestic issue for 1982 ITTL, there's a chance that the Democrats would control both the House and Senate. The Republicans would need to change their views, keep up with the changing world, and always look through the eyes of the people.

With President RFK leading the country in his first year in office ITTL, he's off already to a start. His handling the issues in both domestic and foreign were impressive and I predict that his polls were still high after surviving an assassination attempt in 1981 ITTL. We don't know it yet what President RFK would face in the future whether foreign or domestic issue for 1982 ITTL, there's a chance that the Democrats would control both the House and Senate. The Republicans would need to change their views, keep up with the changing world, and always look through the eyes of the people.
It probably take more than them losing the midterms to wake up to the fact that they're losing touch with the american people. I mean the GOP is a stubborn bunch. At least some of them are.

Hypothetical question for everybody, since there's a good chance the democrats perform well in 1982, How many seats is everybody thinking they'll gain in the house and the senate?
It's highly likely that the Democrats will increase their majorities in 1982 imo.

The biggest 2 reasons are

1. RFK's assassination attempt and the culprit being a member of the far right.

2. The GOP is currently enveloped in a civil war between the Romney/Bush faction and the Helms/Laxalt faction. We've already seen this have an effect as the Democrats held both NJ and VA in 1981.

Then there's the minor factors of the economy rebounding and a vigorous campaign in 82 by people like President Kennedy, Senate majority leader Long and Speaker O'Neil.

It's highly likely that the Democrats will increase their majorities in 1982 imo.

The biggest 2 reasons are

1. RFK's assassination attempt and the culprit being a member of the far right.

2. The GOP is currently enveloped in a civil war between the Romney/Bush faction and the Helms/Laxalt faction. We've already seen this have an effect as the Democrats held both NJ and VA in 1981.

Then there's the minor factors of the economy rebounding and a vigorous campaign in 82 by people like President Kennedy, Senate majority leader Long and Speaker O'Neil.
Absolutely true. A party in disarray is never likely to win as history has shown like the top during and after the great depression

Out of all the races, there are a few that make me think that it could be either one or two seat pickups or declines, with the key races being the following:

Nebraska: Ed Zorinsky was a notable conservative Democrat that had a lot of cajoling and courting to return to the party he switched from. Depending on the Kennedy Administration's agenda as well as whatever appeals Russell Long can soothe him over will be vital
Wyoming: A Kennedy liberal in a state so red, it's almost concerning and winning against a Republican that hit the rural world that is Wyoming; I wouldn't be surprised if there was an effort to get Dickie into the seat for a GOP gain
Texas: *looks up Audie Murphy* Even in a state like Texas with a WW2 hero, I could see him facing some trouble; maybe he stays, but it's more a lean Dem seat
Oregon: Packwood, with the "So Have I" movement, almost makes him the prime seat for Democrats if he is forced to resign earlier than OTL
Florida: Hawkins could be as vulnerable as she is strange, but it depends on who's the Democrat in 1982 and if bucking the trend could help them in a state like Florida
California: Tunney, unless he's retiring, is set in there; would be interesting, however, if there's a Jerry Brown Senate career
Connecticut: Weicker could survive, unless Bobby is set on eliminating moderate Republicans to help sink the GOP in going full on conservative
Maryland: Mathias could very well be a Dem pickup if the goal is to eliminate one of the most notorious Rockefeller Republicans

As much as I could see a buck trend of the incumbent winning seats, I could easily see the GOP making some form of inroads with the right candidates. All in all, I could say a net pickup of one

Out of all the races, there are a few that make me think that it could be either one or two seat pickups or declines, with the key races being the following:

Nebraska: Ed Zorinsky was a notable conservative Democrat that had a lot of cajoling and courting to return to the party he switched from. Depending on the Kennedy Administration's agenda as well as whatever appeals Russell Long can soothe him over will be vital
Wyoming: A Kennedy liberal in a state so red, it's almost concerning and winning against a Republican that hit the rural world that is Wyoming; I wouldn't be surprised if there was an effort to get Dickie into the seat for a GOP gain
Texas: *looks up Audie Murphy* Even in a state like Texas with a WW2 hero, I could see him facing some trouble; maybe he stays, but it's more a lean Dem seat
Oregon: Packwood, with the "So Have I" movement, almost makes him the prime seat for Democrats if he is forced to resign earlier than OTL
Florida: Hawkins could be as vulnerable as she is strange, but it depends on who's the Democrat in 1982 and if bucking the trend could help them in a state like Florida
California: Tunney, unless he's retiring, is set in there; would be interesting, however, if there's a Jerry Brown Senate career
Connecticut: Weicker could survive, unless Bobby is set on eliminating moderate Republicans to help sink the GOP in going full on conservative
Maryland: Mathias could very well be a Dem pickup if the goal is to eliminate one of the most notorious Rockefeller Republicans

As much as I could see a buck trend of the incumbent winning seats, I could easily see the GOP making some form of inroads with the right candidates. All in all, I could say a net pickup of one
Indeed, it's still a coin toss, although the odds are slightly in favor of the Democrats. If they put the emphasis on the RFK's high approval rating and how the economy is growing stronger due to the Long-Ullman Tax Cut, along with spreading pork in some strategic places, they could somewhat increase their edge over the GOP.

So, this is a just a suggestion based on something I found out recently.

Apparently when The Exorcist came out, Linda Blair essentially became a lightning rod for much of the controversy, with Billy Graham apparently openly accusing her of glorifying Satan. She got so many death threats her parents had to hire bodyguards.

With the "And so have I" movement going on, could we maybe see Billy Graham actually face some form of consequences for contributing to a teenager getting death threats?

So, this is a just a suggestion based on something I found out recently.

Apparently when The Exorcist came out, Linda Blair essentially became a lightning rod for much of the controversy, with Billy Graham apparently openly accusing her of glorifying Satan. She got so many death threats her parents had to hire bodyguards.

With the "And so have I" movement going on, could we maybe see Billy Graham actually face some form of consequences for contributing to a teenager getting death threats?
Oh yeah I forgot about that. Billy Graham certainly was an "Interesting character." I hope Linda has had a much better time than she did IOTL.

Oh yeah I forgot about that. Billy Graham certainly was an "Interesting character." I hope Linda has had a much better time than she did IOTL.
I'll admit it was actually disappointing to learn that, mostly because he seemed to actually be a moral man in comparison to many other televangelists. I mean, he was an outspoken advocate for Civil Rights during the 60s, and my understanding is that MLK considered him a friend.

It's messed up to learn he essentially contributed to a twelve year old getting death threats.

Last edited:
I'll admit it was actually disappointing to learn that, mostly because he seemed to actually be a moral man in comparison to many other televangelists. I mean, he was an outspoken advocate for Civil Rights during the 60s, and my understanding is that MLK considered him a friend.

It's messed up to learn he essentially contributed to a twelve year old getting death threats.
Yeah he is really the only public evangelist that I really admire and payed attention to especially for his work on civil rights and his friendship with Dr. King but underneath it all he was not perfect. Though of course none of us really are.