Blue Skies in Camelot (Continued): An Alternate 80s and Beyond

That's such a sweet idea especially compared to her tragic fate in OTL. I'll be honest I forgot all about her in TTL until you mentioned her.
I'll admit it's somewhat inspired by Kentucky Fried Politics, where she ended up becoming the press secretary of Walter Mondale at the recommendation of Bobby Kennedy.

Alright geniuses, we're settled for Mary Jo Kopechne to be the President RFK's Press Secretary! Any other genius suggestions or ideas on who's Cabinet Secretaries will remain from President Udall and who will be their replacements for President RFK from 1981-1989 ITTL?

Bit of a random thought, I mentioned that Kennedy in this timeline reminds me a bit of Kennedy from this:

Then it randomly hit me, if Call Of Duty still exists in this world, would that still be Kennedy or would they swap him out for George Romney?

Alright geniuses, we're settled for Mary Jo Kopechne to be the President RFK's Press Secretary! Any other genius suggestions or ideas on who's Cabinet Secretaries will remain from President Udall and who will be their replacements for President RFK from 1981-1989 ITTL?
I feel like George McGovern would be added somewhere if he's not already part of Udall's cabinet.

I have a suggestion for Walter Mondale btw. Not as a member of RFK'S cabinet but remaining in the Senate as the Chief Whip possibly working alongside whoever the Majority Leader will be to pass President Bobby Kennedy's legislation

The Udall Administration (1977-1981):
President: Mo Udall
Vice President: Lloyd Bentsen

Secretary of State: George Ball
Secretary of Treasury: W. Michael Blumenthal
Secretary of Defense: Cyrus Vance
Attorney General: Shirley Hufstedler
Secretary of the Interior: John F. Seiberling
Secretary of Agriculture: George McGovern
Secretary of Commerce: Juanita M. Kreps
Secretary of Labor: Walter Reuther
Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare: Patricia R. Harris
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Walter Washington
Secretary of Transportation: Yvonne B. Burke
Chief of Staff: Stewart Udall (1977-1979); Ted Sorensen (1979-1981)
EPA Administrator: Douglas M. Costle
Director of OMB: Samuel P. Goddard, Jr.
U.S. Trade Representative: Joseph Montoya
U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations: Andrew Young
Here's a reminder for you geniuses on President Udall's Cabinet Secretaries, who are we going to keep and who are we going to replace?

Here's a reminder for you geniuses on President Udall's Cabinet Secretaries, who are we going to keep and who are we going to replace?
Just some suggestions, and admittedly these are all people that died in OTL, but I'm assuming at least a few of them were butterflied:

Secretary of Defense: George W. Casey Sr.
Secretary of the Interior: George Moscone
Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare: John William Colbert Jr.

And again, I'm not going to assume anything because this isn't my timeline.

Chapter 141
Chapter 141: You Make My Dreams - 1980 Down Ballot Races
K40mKHBGLSIDJPHCHv84HWBf0JXLHtUNvy08_V-kDFPp9Xi6v0UO-lsgWhTksC2hn1qQ2Olpx58YVpy1nfpJZ7l-aNOjeG10C31-bMk1iZ8u8cB0G1mSvbmqdUoo_nUvk0tiTEc_ltKCt8qTtr0Yxow
IqfGCLR-S_74DYZhjqWAfYEfSC913b9pszhT-i6ElLbCuRiemvUfmEYLK1y8nP8GjHL8pXbKbGyqCpSChL5p6oqMsQ2HQ57xefYXVYQ4NX9ol58QBWL9V5oBeu5JkM6hMgmiY0FmH70uppUB-9KATXo
Above: Senate Majority Leader Russell B. Long (D - LA) and Senate Minority Leader Howard Baker (R - TN). These two Southerners would exert tremendous influence over the Upper Chamber of the 97th Congress.

“What I want, you've got and it might be hard to handle
But like a flame that burns the candle, the candle feeds the flame
Yeah, yeah, what I've got, full stock of thoughts and dreams that scatter
And you pull them all together, and how, I can't explain
Oh, yeah, well, well, you (Ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh-ooh)
You make my dreams come true”
- “You Make My Dreams” by Hall & Oates

“Winning is like shaving - you do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum.” - Congressman Jack Kemp (R - NY)

“Fighting corruption is not just good governance. It’s self-defense. It’s patriotism.” - Senator Joe Biden (D - DE)

1980 was truly a pivotal election in American history.

While the presidential race between Robert Kennedy and Ronald Reagan obviously attracted most of the media attention at the time and has continued to do so among students of history, equally if not more important were the various down ballot races that occurred simultaneously to that great contest of ideals. After all, control of Congress and of the various state houses and governors’ mansions across the nation would, as ever, be instrumental in pursuing the political agendas of both major parties.

In the House of Representatives, Bob Kennedy appeared to have long coattails indeed. A 29-seat swing in the lower chamber saw House Speaker Tip O’Neill (D - MA) increase his majority to 275 against the Republicans’ 159 (John B. Anderson, presidential candidate, managed to win re-election to Congress on his “National Unity” ticket, making him the lone third party Representative). Supported from beneath by Jim Wright (D - TX) and Tom Foley (D - WA) as House Majority Leader and Whip, respectively, O’Neill was ready to return to Washington reinvigorated. There might be a new president, but the Democrats still controlled both the White House and Capitol Hill.

On the other side of the aisle, the retirements of Gerald Ford and John Jacob Rhodes opened the door for fresh faces in Republican leadership. As previously mentioned, these roles, House Minority Leader and House Minority Whip, were filled by Jack Kemp (R - NY) and Bud Shuster (R - PA) respectively. Kemp, 45, and Shuster, 48, represented a new generation in the GOP. The former was widely known for his libertarian views on social and economic issues, while the latter was mostly known as an expert on transportation and military issues. Kemp in particular would prove a thorn in the side of the incoming Kennedy administration, as he sought to restrain spending and cut taxes (particularly on the wealthy), goals that were anathema to those of the President-Elect.

Meanwhile, the balance of power in the Senate hardly budged. Republicans managed, despite former Vice President Reagan’s loss, to pick up a single seat, reducing the Democrats’ majority to 56 - 44. Though Russell B. Long (D - LA), the Democrats’ indomitable Majority Leader, heir to leadership of the “New Southern Machine” pioneered by Lyndon Johnson, would do all that he could to support the new administration’s spending proposals, he began to sweat at the prospect. He (and the President-Elect) would either need to appeal to moderate Republicans, or work harder in the ‘82 midterms to win more seats, if they wanted to see their policy agenda passed. Here too, the Republicans picked up a new Minority Whip, this time in the form of Donald Rumsfeld, of Illinois.

Generally speaking, the campaign down ballot reflected the contest that occurred at the top. Despite the big tent nature of both major parties, many races became smaller, more local versions of the national contest’s choice between liberalism and conservatism. Kennedy and Reagan were both such larger than life personalities that their shadows were difficult, if not impossible, to escape from. Though perhaps not a “turning point” election in the way that the conservative movement might have hoped for, political scientists generally agree that 1980 did represent the beginning of what would become the Sixth Party System in the United States. In this system, Democrats reaffirmed their commitment to New Deal-style liberalism at home and dovish internationalism abroad. The Republicans meanwhile, remained committed toward broadly neoliberal economics (deregulation, free trade, laissez-faire, low taxes, less government spending) and hawkish, interventionist foreign policy.

1980 was also the first national campaign to be covered by the nation’s first 24/7 cable news channel, Ted Turner’s Cable News Network (CNN). Helmed by the network’s first anchor, Bernard Shaw, CNN provided wall-to-wall coverage not just of election night, but of the entire campaign up to that point. “Analysis” was performed by “experts”, stretching the limits of the so-called “fairness doctrine” enforced by the FCC. Generally, CNN tended to be fairly non-partisan in its early days. But the constant nature of the coverage, and the cable network’s national reach meant that the days of “regional messaging” were well and truly done for. Campaigns had to be brought in line with party platforms more than ever.

n2hYziFajjfTAYmN7VcSiuNXKwI2wfmNU6PjNRea7V6HEHXYHAV1PvX1Z_9T6C4dUD3R4luW5aLpaY3yLYam0xxKfu7rdYYfF6Iknz_C7PfZlPaMuGv-KLCyQ2dCvGEKSkDuEIAwta4dPh6d8duUuU4
PpeYvdXIwhH17Zc4GJhXiFqbGqGB6Dj32X0JqPkXsEZPxhj-Qk8AQtbhQ0SQtJkSkRfYkvzpgqtxt7_NJme7zs3BFg0GG3LqwhoAiSEvi94_VWKlRyVBVMRoR1zwKCHsk8Y4KSr2QIJd0c3OeL2JRSQ

The Senate
Democrats (Majority) - 56 Seats (-1)
Republicans (Minority) - 44 Seats (+1)

Alabama
James B. Allen (D)
Jeremiah Denton (R) - Succeeded incumbent Sparkman. R Gain

Alaska
Theodore F. Stevens (R)
Frank Murkowski (R) - Re-elected over Mike Gravel. R Hold.

Arizona
Barry Goldwater (R) - Re-elected over William Schulz. R Hold.
Dennis DeConcini (D)

Arkansas
Dale Bumpers (D) - Re-elected over William Clark. D Hold.
David Pryor (D)

California
John V. Tunney (D)
Shirley Temple Black (R) - Re-elected over Alan Cranston. R Hold.

Colorado
Gary Hart (D) - Re-elected over Mary Buchanan. D Hold.
William L. Armstrong (R)

Connecticut
Lowell P. Weicker, Jr. (R)
Chris Dodd (D) - Succeeded retiring incumbent Ribicoff. D Hold.

Delaware
Joseph Biden (D)
Thomas Maloney (D)

Florida
Lawton Chiles (D)
Paula Hawkins (R) - Succeeded retiring incumbent Eckerd. R Hold.

Georgia
Sam Nunn (D)
James Earl Carter (D) - Re-elected over Mack Mattingly. D Hold.

Hawaii
Daniel K. Inouye (D) - Re-elected over Cooper Brown
Spark Matsunaga (D)

Idaho
Frank F. Church (D) - Narrowly re-elected over Steve Symms. D Hold.
James A. McClure (R)

Illinois
Charles H. Percy (R)
Donald Rumsfeld (R) - Narrowly re-elected over Adlai Stevenson III. R Hold.

Indiana
Richard Lugar (R)
Dan Quayle (R) - Succeeded retiring Newcomb. R Hold.

Iowa
Jack R. Miller (R)
Chuck Grassley (R) - Succeeded retiring Stanley. R Hold.

Kansas
Bob Dole (R) - Re-elected over John Simpson. R Hold.
Nancy Kassebaum (R)

Kentucky
Walter B. Huddleston (D)
Wendell Ford (D) - Re-elected over Mary Foust. D Hold.

Louisiana
Russell B. Long (D) - Re-elected over several candidates. D Hold.
John McKeithen (D)

Maine
William Cohen (R)
George J. Mitchell (D) Succeeding Edmund Muskie, nominated as Secretary of State by President-Elect Kennedy.

Maryland
Charles Mathias (R) - Re-elected over Edward Conroy. R Hold.
Paul Sarbanes (D)

Massachusetts
Edward M. Kennedy (D)
Paul Tsongas (D)

Michigan
Robert P. Griffin (R)
Donald Riegle (D)

Minnesota
Walter Mondale (D)
David Durenberger (R)

Mississippi
John C. Stennis (D)
Charles Evers (D)

Missouri
Thomas F. Eagleton (D) - Re-elected over Gene McNary. D Hold.
Jerry Litton (D)

Montana
Jack Melcher (D)
Max Baucus (D)

Nebraska
Edward Zorinsky (D)
J. James Exon (D)

Nevada
Howard W. Cannon (D)
Paul Laxalt (R) - Re-elected over Mary Gojack. R Hold.

New Hampshire
Gordon J. Humphrey (R)
Warren Rudman (R) - Succeeded retiring incumbent. R Hold.

New Jersey
Bill Bradley (D)
Frank Lautenberg (D) - Replaced resigning incumbent Williams. D Hold.

New Mexico
Pete Domenici (R)
Harrison Schmitt (R)

New York
Elizabeth Holtzman (D) - Appointed by Governor Hugh Carey to fill President-Elect Robert Kennedy’s seat.
Daniel Patrick Moynihan (D) - Defeated Al D'amato to succeed retiring incumbent Clark. D Hold.

North Carolina
Jesse Helms (R)
John Porter East (R) - Defeated incumbent Terry Sanford. R Gain.

North Dakota
Quentin M. Burdick (D)
Mark Andrews (R) - Succeeded retiring incumbent Young. R Hold.

Ohio
John Glenn (D) - Re-elected over Jim Betts. D Hold.
Robert Taft, Jr. (R)

Oklahoma
David Boren (D)
Don Nickles (R) - Succeeded retiring incumbent Henry Bellmon. R Hold.

Oregon
Mark O. Hatfield (R)
Bob Packwood (R) - Re-elected over Ted Kulongowski. R Hold.

Pennsylvania
William J. Green III (D)
Peter F. Flaherty (D) - Succeeded retiring incumbent Schweiker. D Gain.

Rhode Island
John Chafee (R)
Claiborne Pell (D)

South Carolina
Strom Thurmond (R)
Ernest Hollings (D) - Re-elected over Marshall Mays. D Hold.

South Dakota
Leo Thorsness (R)
James Abdnor (R) - Succeeded retiring incumbent Pressley. R Hold.

Tennessee
Howard H. Baker, Jr. (R)
James Sasser (D)

Texas
Audie Murphy (D)
John Tower (R)

Utah
Jake Garn (R) - Reelected over Dan Berman. R Hold.
Orrin Hatch (R)

Vermont
Richard W. Mallary (R)
Patrick Leahy (D) - Reelected over Stewart Ledbetter. D Hold.

Virginia
Harry F. Byrd, Jr. (D)
Richard D. Obenshain (R)

Washington
Henry M. “Scoop” Jackson (D)
Don Bonker (D) - Elected to succeed retiring incumbent Magnuson. D Hold.

West Virginia
Jennings Randolph (D)
Robert C. Byrd (D)

Wisconsin
William Proxmire (D)
Gaylord A. Nelson (D) - Reelected over Bob Kasten. D Hold.

Wyoming
Gale McGee (D)
Alan K. Simpson (R)

1702040646350.png

Party Leadership:
Democrats
Senate Majority Leader - Russell B. Long (D - LA)
Senate Majority Whip - Ted Kennedy (D - MA)
Speaker of the House - Tip O’Neill (D - MA)
House Majority Leader - Jim Wright (D - TX)
House Majority Whip - Tom Foley (D - WA)

Republicans
Senate Minority Leader - Howard Baker (R - TN)
Senate Minority Whip - Donald Rumsfeld (R - IL)
House Minority Leader - Jack Kemp (R - NY)
House Minority Whip - Bud Shuster (R - PA)

The House of Representatives
Democrats (Majority) - 275 (+29)
Republicans (Minority) - 159 (-30)
National Unity (Opposition) - 1 (+1)

Other Races of Note

Hillary Rodham Bush (R - MD), a member of the Maryland House of Delegates, runs for and wins another term in that body. Her commanding reelection in a strongly Democratic state in a strongly Democratic year immediately made her a potential candidate for higher office in the eyes of the Maryland State Republican Party. The only question in their minds: would Mrs. Bush challenge Democratic Senator Paul Sarbanes or Governor Harry Hughes (D) in 1982? Meanwhile, Mrs. Bush’s husband, George W. Bush, still a rising executive at Lockheed Martin in Bethesda, Maryland, becomes part owner of the Baltimore Orioles Major League Baseball team.

1PuJ6yAzeKr9ejz-kSjH7ow4QAl1sj6zzJTc13oNSbJEpkhCoX7GH6wY8U2M_GTwk1JDnEpAr7COpF6H-ZNay0YNMIkk_UeU4rLMw4hlz3kP09sng2wxiFQiVSnfSHV8ny5ZYoB-H1Q7pskiIg7_uj4
0HkGuuDRKu_1NR7UC8Yoa30EmTqEiQ77YcBfpi2qxlBBZMuM1yzFfRhKHQ75Y8I9lN570s7GptP7iikGMH_LW6I93uz9zgylDd1JBr-ceuXgtCvD6vlmJfvXzPJN5MVsN7dIa-vd_aNYJOizYWdeFAg

John D. “Jay” Rockefeller IV (D - WV), a close personal friend of President-Elect Kennedy, wins re-election to a second term as Governor of West Virginia.

S6TgPzhMrwTVK8dHdSKOBs-33JTtpAnIVlvj1xkGELKaaG_PkAaLz_U-pSJVvkVVnejN4lCuLWoWYqoJIhnIv2zdIIKqTc1NPfOeT2NVoxA14-gj_7bWOBDSaGHnUM_vLY1gNB9JymTrLvfMF4vigE0

John Lewis (D - GA), civil rights icon, RFK ally, and hardcore liberal, is elected to the House of Representatives from the State of Georgia. Alongside Barbara Jordan (D - TX), Ron Dellums (D - CA), and Andrew Young (D - GA), he became one of the first members of the “Congressional Black Caucus”.
f0wlywbbxmlS64zmBMBE8x3ysljK6nUThYdIwBjQFeSDnmJMZfB_nLslzQcAJ8vHgUn09kuNhd31EHmKr6T4CxMAxtPP2wwjl5kkJ9YL9VuY7LINt3xGhq6QFP3kTK19h0bD1JJWh6n_RDk9E5tbuGM

Next Time on Blue Skies in Camelot: A Look at Life in the Soviet Union

Last edited:
Bit of a random thought, I mentioned that Kennedy in this timeline reminds me a bit of Kennedy from this:

Then it randomly hit me, if Call Of Duty still exists in this world, would that still be Kennedy or would they swap him out for George Romney?
Since the majority of that game takes place in the early to mid 1960s, I think it would still be Kennedy

Another wonderful chapter you've made Mr. President! With the Democrats control both houses of Congress, President RFK will lead the way towards New Deal/New Frontier-Style Liberalism. The Republicans were now advocates of Neoliberal-Style Economics now that Reagan lost the election in 1980 ITTL, and the National Unity were just getting started as the new decade dawned thanks to John B. Anderson. Whatever his party leads in the new decade, I hope for their best. Hillary Bush, Jay Rockefeller, and John Lewis were about to bring the 80's ITTL towards a future they're about to give us. Well geniuses, we're off to the Soviet Union in the 80's ITTL, let's hope their lives were now in better condition than IOTL, and I hope that the leadership of The Troika and Mikhail Gorbachev were brought some improvements in their country towards a better future.

Politics aside again Mr. President, I want to ask about Karen Carpenter since we're here in the 80's ITTL. I heard or read some rumors that her death from Anorexia Nervosa in 1983 IOTL was from the insult of their mother by criticizing her physical appearance. I just hope she prevent her untimely death by ignoring their mother's insults because she's really healthy and fine if you're going to ask me geniuses. It's been years since The Carpenters weren't mentioned or appeared as we move in the 80's ITTL.