Blue Skies in Camelot (Continued): An Alternate 80s and Beyond

Have a Happy New Year's Day for 2024 geniuses, and as we say in our language "Maligayang Bagong Taon!" Cheers for a wonderful, prosperous, and inspiring new year for all of us to the Blue Skies In Camelot Family!

*Sips from Imaginary Glass of Champagne*

New Year's Day 2024 Post
Happy New Year, everyone!

I just want to take a moment to reflect back on the past year a bit, then look forward to what may come in 2024. Part of me can't believe how fast time flies. Guess that means I'm getting old. x'D

After a (far too) long hiatus, Blue Skies in Camelot returned back in September. I was a little nervous to finally publish Chapter 122. It had been nearly a year since a new chapter had been released. I was worried what sort of a reaction it might receive, if it would even elicit a reaction at all. I should never have worried. I have the best readers on AH.com, in my opinion. You were all warm, friendly, and endlessly welcoming. It was (and is) good to be back. Since then, we've released twenty-two more chapters and several pop culture updates. Again, time flies.

In the timeline itself, we've seen President Mo Udall break up the fossil fuel industry (and shatter the power of its lobby), be diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, then finish out a highly successful term in office. Robbed of his chance at a second term, Udall will leave office on January 20th, 1981, satisfied that he built a fabulous legacy to leave to his successor. Speaking of whom, the election of 1980 here was won, of course, not by Ronald Reagan, but by his Democratic opponent, Robert F. Kennedy. The first president-elect to be the sibling of a former president, Bob Kennedy inherits a country that, despite the advances of Udall's term, feels very much in a rut. Unemployment remains high, despite inflation finally falling. Cold War tensions with the Soviet Union are the highest they've been in over a decade. Americans' national self-confidence is at an all-time low. Kennedy will need to guide the nation forward with his New Hope initiative, attempt to enshrine for all time a Second Bill of Rights to protect Americans' economic freedoms, and pursue a strong, but noble foreign policy, that confronts communism and America's enemies abroad while maintaining a high standard for human rights. Talk about a challenge... Let's see how RFK does.

And that sort of explains where we go from here! Expect the last two pop culture updates for 1980 sometime soon. I do start classes for grad school again in a few weeks, and I am working on edits for the final draft of my first novel. So my output may suffer a bit. I've learned long ago to avoid giving estimates as to how often I will update. Know only that I do not intend to take a long hiatus again.

Once again, thank you all. Here's to a great 2024.

For Auld Lang Syne, my dear
For Auld Lang Syne
We'll take a cup o'kindness yet
For Auld Lang Syne

marilyn-monroe-champagne-toast-james-turner.jpg

Happy New Year, everyone!

I just want to take a moment to reflect back on the past year a bit, then look forward to what may come in 2024. Part of me can't believe how fast time flies. Guess that means I'm getting old. x'D

After a (far too) long hiatus, Blue Skies in Camelot returned back in September. I was a little nervous to finally publish Chapter 122. It had been nearly a year since a new chapter had been released. I was worried what sort of a reaction it might receive, if it would even elicit a reaction at all. I should never have worried. I have the best readers on AH.com, in my opinion. You were all warm, friendly, and endlessly welcoming. It was (and is) good to be back. Since then, we've released twenty-two more chapters and several pop culture updates. Again, time flies.

In the timeline itself, we've seen President Mo Udall break up the fossil fuel industry (and shatter the power of its lobby), be diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, then finish out a highly successful term in office. Robbed of his chance at a second term, Udall will leave office on January 20th, 1981, satisfied that he built a fabulous legacy to leave to his successor. Speaking of whom, the election of 1980 here was won, of course, not by Ronald Reagan, but by his Democratic opponent, Robert F. Kennedy. The first president-elect to be the sibling of a former president, Bob Kennedy inherits a country that, despite the advances of Udall's term, feels very much in a rut. Unemployment remains high, despite inflation finally falling. Cold War tensions with the Soviet Union are the highest they've been in over a decade. Americans' national self-confidence is at an all-time low. Kennedy will need to guide the nation forward with his New Hope initiative, attempt to enshrine for all time a Second Bill of Rights to protect Americans' economic freedoms, and pursue a strong, but noble foreign policy, that confronts communism and America's enemies abroad while maintaining a high standard for human rights. Talk about a challenge... Let's see how RFK does.

And that sort of explains where we go from here! Expect the last two pop culture updates for 1980 sometime soon. I do start classes for grad school again in a few weeks, and I am working on edits for the final draft of my first novel. So my output may suffer a bit. I've learned long ago to avoid giving estimates as to how often I will update. Know only that I do not intend to take a long hiatus again.

Once again, thank you all. Here's to a great 2024.

For Auld Lang Syne, my dear
For Auld Lang Syne
We'll take a cup o'kindness yet
For Auld Lang Syne

marilyn-monroe-champagne-toast-james-turner.jpg
One of the greatest moments of last year was seeing that you updated after so long. I've loved TTL ever since I discovered it. I can't wait to read the next update and take your time in writing the next update. The only thing I ask like you said is please don't take another long hiatus. Happy New year

Mr. @President_Lincoln, as your timeline on its sixth year or as we called its childhood years, we saw how you grew this up from the beginning. You're not the only one who's getting old, we're getting old as well with you and your alternate history. Never let worry overcome yourself, because our enthusiasm keeps your flame going through this day. I'm always waiting whenever you post a new chapter on this timeline, now you're finally returned after nine months of hiatus, that's like waiting for a new child to be born.

With President Udall being one of the best American President who served one term, his legacy would continue to his successor President-Elect RFK, who also continuing his brother's legacy, and making his own as well with his new platforms to improved the lives of every Americans, his foreign policy as The Cold War is heating up once again, and promoting the protection of human rights to the rest of the world now that we prevent Reagan from the presidency.

As always, we're looking forward in the next chapter updates for The Empire Strikes Back and 1980 Pop Culture ITTL as the year is about to be closed. With your intention of not go on hiatus for this timeline as the new year has come, does that mean we're looking forward to you every time you post your upcoming chapters? Then, I'm most certainly looking forward to it. Here's for the New Year's Day this 2024! Happy Holidays Geniuses!

At the very least Kennedy won't gut the unions like Reagan did, and we can avoid the "greed is good" nonsense. That said thing high crime rates will likely still be a thing, and racists are still going to try to dress up their poison in more demure language.

I mentioned McClesky v Kemp, and I think that it going the other way would ROYALLY piss off conservatives and law and order advocates.

Basically McClesky was sentenced for murdering a cop. McClesky TECHNICALLY met the criterion for the death penalty, but it was VERY possible to argue that race played a part. His lawyers linked a study which showed that the death penalty was disproportionately applied to black people; the lawyers couldn't REFUTE the study so they just tried to ignore it or argue it would make things to complicated to address it.

It was a very narrow decision but ultimately the Supreme court voted to ignore the study and rule that it shouldn't be looked at. McClesky got executed, and Justice Powell (who WROTE the ruling) would later come to admit that yeah it was a pretty stupid decision in hindsight.

So if the court goes the other way (quite possible if Kennedy appoints a more liberal justice) I can imagine that there's a LOT of long term consequences.

Long Term: It's easier to address racism in sentencing, which leads to a lot of black people challenging their convictions (some rightly, some wrongly). Capital Punishment is also put on hold nationwide, until the states can prove that they have conclusively addressed racism in sentencing.

Short Term: Many states (and even those who see themselves as law and order conservatives) are deeply angered by the ruling; some might be in denial that there's a problem, others will concede that there's an issue but argue that the ruling was still overly harsh (McClesky WAS guilty as shit, and he did meet the criterion they had for the death penalty law). There's also a lot of pushback from judges/prosecutors trying to deflect accusations that the legal system is racist (many in bad faith)

At the very least Kennedy won't gut the unions like Reagan did, and we can avoid the "greed is good" nonsense. That said thing high crime rates will likely still be a thing, and racists are still going to try to dress up their poison in more demure language.

I mentioned McClesky v Kemp, and I think that it going the other way would ROYALLY piss off conservatives and law and order advocates.

Basically McClesky was sentenced for murdering a cop. McClesky TECHNICALLY met the criterion for the death penalty, but it was VERY possible to argue that race played a part. His lawyers linked a study which showed that the death penalty was disproportionately applied to black people; the lawyers couldn't REFUTE the study so they just tried to ignore it or argue it would make things to complicated to address it.

It was a very narrow decision but ultimately the Supreme court voted to ignore the study and rule that it shouldn't be looked at. McClesky got executed, and Justice Powell (who WROTE the ruling) would later come to admit that yeah it was a pretty stupid decision in hindsight.

So if the court goes the other way (quite possible if Kennedy appoints a more liberal justice) I can imagine that there's a LOT of long term consequences.

Long Term: It's easier to address racism in sentencing, which leads to a lot of black people challenging their convictions (some rightly, some wrongly). Capital Punishment is also put on hold nationwide, until the states can prove that they have conclusively addressed racism in sentencing.

Short Term: Many states (and even those who see themselves as law and order conservatives) are deeply angered by the ruling; some might be in denial that there's a problem, others will concede that there's an issue but argue that the ruling was still overly harsh (McClesky WAS guilty as shit, and he did meet the criterion they had for the death penalty law). There's also a lot of pushback from judges/prosecutors trying to deflect accusations that the legal system is racist (many in bad faith)
People can try and deny it but they won't be able to keep denying it. When the Supreme Court (Assuming it goes the other way here which is most likely) Says that there's a problem, you can't ignore something like that. They can try but they won't be able to keep on doing it, especially if RFK pays attention and decides to try and do something about it.

One of the greatest moments of last year was seeing that you updated after so long. I've loved TTL ever since I discovered it. I can't wait to read the next update and take your time in writing the next update. The only thing I ask like you said is please don't take another long hiatus. Happy New year
I wholeheartedly concur with what @PRM said :).

People can try and deny it but they won't be able to keep denying it. When the Supreme Court (Assuming it goes the other way here which is most likely) Says that there's a problem, you can't ignore something like that. They can try but they won't be able to keep on doing it, especially if RFK pays attention and decides to try and do something about it.
RFK had his problems; he was overly supportive of Israel (though I can see him possibly being challenged if the Lebanon War is that bad), and people REALLY push back when their cherished views are attacked.

RFK had his problems; he was overly supportive of Israel (though I can see him possibly being challenged if the Lebanon War is that bad), and people REALLY push back when their cherished views are attacked.
Okay what does Isreal have to do with America's harsh sentences of Minorities at this period ITTL?

It's an example that Robert Kennedy was not perfect; I'm not entirely sure he'd support abortion either due to his religious beliefs. He also would be better than Reagan but I'm also not sure he'd be gay friendly.

It's an example that Robert Kennedy was not perfect; I'm not entirely sure he'd support abortion either due to his religious beliefs. He also would be better than Reagan but I'm also not sure he'd be gay friendly.
It's definitely a fair point that RFK wasn't perfect. He was also very religious. From what I've read about the man, biographies and the like, Kennedy's views evolved on many issues as he got older. He generally trended toward more progressive views on economic and social issues. That said, he is still an Irish Catholic, liberal Democrat in the 1980s here. As I've mentioned previously in the TL, I see President Bob Kennedy being relatively friendly to abortion rights and the LGBT+ community, as his brother Ted was historically. That said, progress will be a slow, gradual process. RFK isn't pursuing gay marriage as President here yet. We may also well see challenges to federal funding for abortions, which given the Medicare for All nature of single payer healthcare ITTL could be a major problem to solve. BSiC is all about hope, not blindly utopian optimism.

It's definitely a fair point that RFK wasn't perfect. He was also very religious. From what I've read about the man, biographies and the like, Kennedy's views evolved on many issues as he got older. He generally trended toward more progressive views on economic and social issues. That said, he is still an Irish Catholic, liberal Democrat in the 1980s here. As I've mentioned previously in the TL, I see President Bob Kennedy being relatively friendly to abortion rights and the LGBT+ community, as his brother Ted was historically. That said, progress will be a slow, gradual process. RFK isn't pursuing gay marriage as President here yet. We may also well see challenges to federal funding for abortions, which given the Medicare for All nature of single payer healthcare ITTL could be a major problem to solve. BSiC is all about hope, not blindly utopian optimism.
You know speaking of RFK's friendliness to the LGBT+ community, Mr. President when AIDS start do you see like some well-meaning advisors telling him not to get involved but then as it becomes worse he steps in or do you see him stepping up from the get-go?

Israel might be a blind spot for Kennedy (though it's also possible he'll evolve). A lot of otherwise liberal progressives have ignored bad things Israel has done over the years.