Map Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see why - they have been alerted and this isn't another Map Thread IX where the whole moderator-posted thing came up.

Hmm. That makes sense - but in the grand scheme of things, with our Ameriwanks and Screws, it makes sense to use OTL as a "dead-even" point.

OTL is dead-even in that any map in which America is bigger than OTL will be labeled an Ameriwank, and any map in which America is smaller than OTL will be labeled an Ameriscrew. There are some exceptions, though. For example, if the US includes the northern quarter of Mexico but not Alaska it is an Ameriwank, but if it includes half of Antarctica but not California, Arizona, Nevada, or Utah, it is an Ameriscrew. Funny how that works.

OTL is dead-even in that any map in which America is bigger than OTL will be labeled an Ameriwank, and any map in which America is smaller than OTL will be labeled an Ameriscrew. There are some exceptions, though. For example, if the US includes the northern quarter of Mexico but not Alaska it is an Ameriwank, but if it includes half of Antarctica but not California, Arizona, Nevada, or Utah, it is an Ameriscrew. Funny how that works.

The equation involves the population and natural resources of the added/removed land as well as the area.

The equation involves the population and natural resources of the added/removed land as well as the area.

That's profound in its obviousness.

Resources (and the butterflies from either having them or not) are a huge factor in that.

That's true.

Hominid's, Klisz's and Tallest Skil's corollary to Turek's First Law: if America has less land/people/resources than OTL, it is an Ameriscrew. If it has more, it is an Ameriwank.

Yes, although it seems that Michigan is another Kaliningrad. And yes, Lake Superior is the Aral Sea of this Timeline.

I would have guessed the Great Salt Lake.

Doesn't this sort of thing belong in the ASB map thread?

It could be cross-posted, sure.'
I know I posted my Steampunk map before, but I made some updates trying to balance some power. By all means its not completely balance, but its about as close as I want it to be. Basic rule is that all the world is owned by one of the 8 world powers.

(I mainly just wanted to get a map in this thread rather early on, second page is fine because it looks like I missed the first.)
Which 2 don't qualify as world powers?

I made a map from a scenario similar to this, May I present to you, Uber-Canada.

Is that a Cuban DMZ? Or just a regular DMZ which includes Cuba?

I think Map Threads are 'general content'. Meaning it doesnt matter if you post Future Maps or ASB maps, in fact, those map threads are pretty much dead since forever; I feel sorry for those who post maps there which will never be seen.

I take a look at every single map that gets posted in both of those, as well as the Map Series Thread and this one.

Alrighty, my first contribution to the new thread! Long live the new Map Thread!

Wave the Flag, 1952.png

Ten years following my last map in the same vein, the current year is 1952. The Russians and the French got stomped in the Second World War, losing territory and creating new nations. China is entering a brutal civil war, and the US has consolidated its territory.

Oh and btw, I changed the look of some US states.

Wave the Flag, 1952.png

Alrighty, my first contribution to the new thread! Long live the new Map Thread!

View attachment 201374

Ten years following my last map in the same vein, the current year is 1952. The Russians and the French got stomped in the Second World War, losing territory and creating new nations. China is entering a brutal civil war, and the US has consolidated its territory.

Oh and btw, I changed the look of some US states.

Could you link to the previous map?

Inspired by the other Canadawanks here is my slightly more realistic one:

KvVdnk9.png

If you can't tell what changed I gave Canada Turks and Caicos and the Northwest Angle. Labrador and NWT also became provinces. I do not know how to show currency unions on maps so I just gave them that weird Canada outline on the land to show a relation. What do you think?

Warning: Overdone. May be burnt.

Profound Discoveries of Turek's First Law:

April 4th, 2013: Turek publishes his theory, stating the following: "In every Alternate History, there must be either an Ameriwank or an Ameriscrew. There is no in-between."

April 4th, 2013, later: Hominid gives his additional thoughts on Turek's First Law. He sums up his words with this statement: "OTL is dead-even in that any map in which America is bigger than OTL will be labeled an Ameriwank, and any map in which America is smaller than OTL will be labeled an Ameriscrew. There are some exceptions, though. For example, if the US includes the northern quarter of Mexico but not Alaska it is an Ameriwank, but if it includes half of Antarctica but not California, Arizona, Nevada, or Utah, it is an Ameriscrew. Funny how that works."

April 4th, 2013, even later: Klisz provides a simple summation of the Law so far, noting: "The equation involves the population and natural resources of the added/removed land as well as the area."

April 4th, 2013, so late that it's fashionable: Tallest Skil arrives on the scene, toting his omnipresent wisdom: "That's profound in its obviousness. Resources (and the butterflies from either having them or not) are a huge factor in that."

Or to Sum Up Hominid's, Klisz's and Tallest Skil's corollary to Turek's First Law:

If America has less land/people/resources than OTL, it is an Ameriscrew. If it has more, it is an Ameriwank.

Or, to express it in map form, being this the Map Thread (reincarnation XI):

AMERISCREW:
mXq1XQL.png

AMERIWANK:
SyFkEVc.png

Last edited:
Turek, in your Ameriscrew map, the Confederacy you have looks similar to my Confederacy in one of my timelines! :p (Except that mine doesn't have Missouri, Kentucky, West Virginia, Maryland, D.C. and Delaware)
Nice maps!;)

Meerkat92

Banned
OTL is an Ameriwank, certainly. Dead-even would be what the US had before the Louisiana purchase, plus Florida and maybe a better border for Maine.

I always saw "dead even" as the point between the Louisiana Purchase and the Mexican War. It seems like a pretty nice shape/size.

Turek, in your Ameriscrew map, the Confederacy you have looks similar to my Confederacy in one of my timelines! :p (Except that mine doesn't have Missouri, Kentucky, West Virginia, Maryland, D.C. and Delaware)
Nice maps!;)

Thanks! Cool coincidence as well.

I always saw "dead even" as the point between the Louisiana Purchase and the Mexican War. It seems like a pretty nice shape/size.

With Oregon or without? IIRC the Oregon Treaty was signed a few months into the Mexican-American War.

Then it would seem you are changing the nature of the terms screw and wank. I always took it to mean that a screw is when a country nets poorer than OTL and a wank is where they net better than OTL. Thus, OTL is dead even for all countries, even Poland.

Nice maps!;)

Missouri shall rise again!

i think i'll commemorate the new Map Thread with the most recent version of the world of my ASB ATL. i've made alot of progress since the last time i posted it some months ago, and i promise to not post every little update of it this time ;)

the biggest change is that South America has been completed (though i may go back and change some of it in the future). as you can plainly see, most of it is controlled by Spain, which divides its empire there into six viceroyalties (that's the generic term; in practice, a few of them have different names and forms of government). Brazil is the biggest general change to what i once had in the TL's specs, as here it is an independent country rather than being part of Portugal like it originally was. Uruguay is the only other independent country on the entire continent, and even then it was once part of Brazil and is independent mostly out of protection from foreign powers (aside from Spain or Brazil, of course). the next-biggest change is a redesign to the borders of Libya and Egypt: the country between them used to be part of Libya in the map specs but is now a disputed territory between the two (i'm working on TACOS to get definitive colors for all of the Arab League countries here to make this more obvious. another, much smaller change is making all of the Virgin Islands part of the US state of Puerto Rico. most of the work i've done on the timeline lately has been working out the actual history about it, and this could very well result in a change to US borders (basically determining whether West Virginia stays with the rest of the state due to changes that either end the Civil War before the split or butterfly that away entirely) and, consequently, will require me to split a state elsewhere in two because i want to keep it at 65 states (in no small part because i really like the flag i designed for it ;))

ATLAS-TMTTE copy.png

Status
Not open for further replies.