Map Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inspired by the other Canadawanks here is my slightly more realistic one:

If you can't tell what changed I gave Canada Turks and Caicos and the Northwest Angle. Labrador and NWT also became provinces. I do not know how to show currency unions on maps so I just gave them that weird Canada outline on the land to show a relation. What do you think?

Mahan says America needs Naval Coaling Ports!

Final draft for the districts of Palestine in my "Land as Promised" (currently being baked; after two still-births, I want to make sure it's completely done before I release it to the wild).

Sorry about the lack of distinction between international and internal borders, and the lack of color; this is, as I said, a draft, and I want to hammer down these borders before I spend too much time on it. My main issue right now is whether or not to include a district in the Jordan Valley.

Anyway, the entities on the map are, from the upper left and going across, and then down:

-The Mediterranean Sea
-[French] Lebanon
-The Kingdom of Syria
-The North District of Palestine
-The Haifa District of Palestine
-The West District of Palestine
-The East District of Palestine
-The Tel Aviv District of Palestine
-The Jerusalem District of Palestine
-The Kingdom of Egypt
-The South District of Palestine
-The Red Sea
-The Kingdom of Hejaz

The second image splits the East District into the East District (=Jordan Valley) and the Center District (or, more probably Centre, since it's a dominion).

Palestine is formally styled "the Dominion of Palestine".

I just realized that the Dead Sea and Sea of Galilee aren't on the maps...the large black square in the North District lies on the west bank of the Galilee, about halfway up (it's Tiberias), and southern blue square in the Jordan Valley is on the peninsula that goes into the Dead Sea.

I feel like the version that splits off the Jordan Valley looks much better, but no one really lives there in my TL. It also splits off the Jordan Valley from the Judean Hills, keeping the general theme of one biome per territorial district.

Working description of the borders and districts:

Borders of Palestine
The borders of Palestine were first laid out in the Faisal-Weizmann agreement signed on 3 January 1919 in Paris before the formal commencement of the Paris Peace Conference, and were later confirmed with minor changes (notably the movement of the northern border about 10km north to the Litani River) in the 1920 Treaty of Sèvres and later the Treaty of Lausanne. The precise line of the border was in the northeast was set at Palestinian insistence by a British survey team in 1925 and confirmed by the Syria-Palestine Border Treaty signed in Damascus in early 1928. To the east, Palestine is bordered in the north by the Mediterranean Sea and in the south by Egypt, following the border set by the Ottoman Empire in 1906, separating the de facto independent Khedivate of Egypt from the Vilyaet of Hejaz and the autonomous Sanjak of Jersualem which were still under Ottoman control. This border roughly follows the line between Rafah and Taba, though the precise line of it was laid out by a mostly British survey team in the years after the treaty. To the east, the border is defined largely by the eastern ridge of the Jordan Valley, though it angles in sharply at the very south to place Aqaba (and the portion of the Hedjaz Railway that links to Aqaba) within Syria. The northern border, originally intended to pass some kilometers south of Tyre, was later adjusted northward to include that city, apparently at the request of the Royal Society, which felt that they would have better access to the site’s antiquities under a Commonwealth government than under the French-influenced Arab government expected in Lebanon. The northeastern border, defining the boundary between Palestine and Syria along the southern portion of the Anti-Lebanon Mountains (commonly called the “Golan Heights”), was drawn with an eye towards water resources, taking the peak of Mount Hermon (Arabic: “Jabal al-Sheikh”), and following ridges from the summit to the south and west, which extend in roughly straight lines to the Jordan Valley and Litani River, respectively.

Within these borders, Palestine is divided into 7 administrative districts: 3 Urban Districts, corresponding to the three largest cities in the nation (Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, and Haifa), and 4 Territorial Districts, corresponding roughly to the four primary biomes present in the state: the sparsely populated South District, synonymous with the Negev Desert; the green North District, comprised of the Galilee; the East District, occupying the Judean Hills; and the West District, sprawling across the Mediterranean coastal plain (“the Sharon”). The districts, it is important to note, are strictly administrative - the Dominion of Palestine is strictly a unitary state, without even a hint of federalism, much to the chagrin of, for example, their Australian allies. While a few powers are devolved onto the districts (in particular, the districts are the primary authorities on the disposition and leasing of public lands, the transfer of private lands, and zoning), the districts are more statistical areas than they are anything approaching federated states.

BPkyZ09.png
XMsM7V0.png

i think i'll commemorate the new Map Thread with the most recent version of the world of my ASB ATL. i've made alot of progress since the last time i posted it some months ago, and i promise to not post every little update of it this time ;)
First off, kudos for leaving Texas intact. ;)

Anyway, I like island boxes on the Worlda map, but yours are a bit unsightly. I'm referring specifically to the ones around NZ and the connections between the British islands in the South Atlantic/Indian Oceans.
I find that funny as I too live in Missouri (AKA my location).
That's why I said that. :D

First off, kudos for leaving Texas intact. ;)

Anyway, I like island boxes on the Worlda map, but yours are a bit unsightly. I'm referring specifically to the ones around NZ and the connections between the British islands in the South Atlantic/Indian Oceans.
yeah, Texas is one state ITTL; it's only two in Anglo-American Rivalry ;)

in both cases, it's kind of to show that they're part of the same governmental entity within *Britain; all of the *British possessions in the South Pacific are going to be part of a single Realm of Australasia (basically a dominion) with those maritime borders indicating separate provinces and that was the best way i could think of to show the split since they're colored the same. but i'd like to hear any suggestions you might have as to how i could make them both look better :)

yeah, Texas is one state ITTL; it's only two in Anglo-American Rivalry ;)

in both cases, it's kind of to show that they're part of the same governmental entity within *Britain; all of the *British possessions in the South Pacific are going to be part of a single Realm of Australasia (basically a dominion) with those maritime borders indicating separate provinces and that was the best way i could think of to show the split since they're colored the same. but i'd like to hear any suggestions you might have as to how i could make them both look better :)

I was just playing around with your map to try to come up with a way, in fact. Can't really come up with anything other than using a single line (like Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha on the older basemap) instead of 2 on the South Georgia/South Sandwich/Southern and Antarctic islands. Not sure what you could do with NZ.

Alrighty, my first contribution to the new thread! Long live the new Map Thread!

View attachment 201374

Ten years following my last map in the same vein, the current year is 1952. The Russians and the French got stomped in the Second World War, losing territory and creating new nations. China is entering a brutal civil war, and the US has consolidated its territory.

Oh and btw, I changed the look of some US states.

Is there a Portuguese government-in-exile in Angola's Cabinda exclave?

:p:p:p

Gotta post a map of my own. I chose the one from my book.

I like how you've managed to remove most of the more egregious butterfly problems AHN had at the onset, but dislike how you still don't use the worlda. That nation in Far Eastern Siberia doesn't make any sense either.

EDIT: Oh, and that Armenia, which includes most of both the North and South Caucasus regions but hardly any Armenians, would be completely genocide-tacular if anyone actually tried to make it work.

Alright, so a quicky - I got together with some friends and asked them the two most irredentist nations ever (Peru/Bolivia and Israel). Then I joined them together.

Behold the Israeli-Bolivian confederation.

Bolivia-Israel.png

Year is 1910. The French communist nation is the Fédération Communiste Français (French Communist Federation or FCF). Commie Algeria is not part of the FCF, but an independent sister nation. Russia is a constitutional monarchy, with a written Constitution modelled very heavily on those of the USA and FCF. The Tsar is more than a figurehead, but his power is far from absolute - the Tsar has much the same powers as the President of the United States, but slightly reduced in some areas. Manchuria is a Russian-style constitutional monarchy. The dark areas in Russia are autonomous areas. China is rapidly becoming an economic and industrial powerhouse. All the German colonies are full members of the German Imperial Union - Kamerun, Ost-Togoland, or Nauru have the same status as Bavaria, Elsace-Lothringen, or Prussia. And just in case you hadn't noticed, I resolved the Alaskan boundary dispute fully in Canada's favour. The two major political parties in the United States are the Republicans and the Communists. Important note: ITTL, "Communist" is pronounced "kuh-MYOON-ist", not OTL's "KOMM-you-nist".

Fédération Communiste Français - 1910.png

Last edited:
Alright, so a quicky - I got together with some friends and asked them the two most irredentist nations ever (Peru/Bolivia and Israel). Then I joined them together.

Behold the Israeli-Bolivian confederation.

You know that absolutely no one in Israel is actually that irredentist, right? Like, not even the really right-wing whackos. The most any Israeli irredentist ever calls for is the Palestinian Territories and the Sinai.

Also that's not where Jerusalem is.

EDIT: Also you use way too many עs in your transliteration of the Spanish names.

Last edited:
You know that absolutely no one in Israel is actually that irredentist, right? Like, not even the really right-wing whackos. The most any Israeli irredentist ever calls for is the Palestinian Territories and the Sinai.

Second. It's an amusing idea and a well made map but that Israel is completely nonsensical. During Mandate times there were people who called for the inclusion of TransJordan but even that is long forgotten.

Second. It's an amusing idea and a well made map but that Israel is completely nonsensical. During Mandate times there were people who called for the inclusion of TransJordan but even that is long forgotten.

It's a perfectly fine representation of what paranoid Arabs think Israel wants, though.

Bruce

By definition, that's incorrect.

"Dead Even" has to be OTL, because the definition of a "Wank" or a "Screw" is the country doing better/worse than OTL. These terms are not relative, because then "Dead Even" is the U.S. owning half of the Universe, because that is the middle between the greatest possible "Wank" (The USA owning the whole universe) and the worst possible "Screw" (The USA not existing at all).

EDIT: Also you use way too many עs in your transliteration of the Spanish names.

Well it's meant to be ASB after all. The Israeli extreme irredentist thing was based on the maximum "this is obviously not true" Kingdom of Israel, so yeah. Nobody in Bolivia is that irredentist either (the extreme ones also only want the coast of Chile).

I blindly placed Jerusalem because I had no reference point as of the moment. My bad.

And I don't really know how to translate Spanish into Hebrew either.

Status
Not open for further replies.