The eagle's left head

Unfortunately Andronikos III died as IOTL. Poor ERE can't catch a break...
I'm short of inclined to believe Andronikos living to 80 would be a different TL. Not an uninteresting one if you play with "what is the latest POD to save the empire"
So if Kantakouzenos controls the army, to who will Anne of Savoy and Alexios Apokaukos turn to in order to obtain an army? The Serbs, or the Ottomans? I hope ITTL the Ottomans won't expand in Europe.
He controls an army. That's different from the entire army.
Isnt Kantakouzenos in a bit of disadvantage too? Since Byzantium's pronoia system relies on the nobility, the same ones that are now being forced to pay their taxes and do their duties (Oh the horror). Which means that Kantakouzenos while theoretically able to muster huge resources and manpower will be hamstrung by the same nobles? The nobility might even rally to Anne instead, bringing the pronoia soldiers with them.
That depends on the strength of the ruler and his administrative machine. For example Ottoman armies depended on Timariote cavalry during the entire period of conquest and Timars were little to no different from pronoia, often enough in the Balkans the former pronoia men turned into timariotes. Did not exactly hinder it from reaching Vienna...
Honestly imo other than the Laskaris restoration the only hope ERE has is Kantakouzenos decisively destroyed Anna and take the crown for himself but that’s a long shot
Ah a follower of David Nicol I see. Kantakouzenos was a capable man. How well he would had really done had he acted decisively and seized the throne in 1341... is anouther question. The man was good but it seems he often hesitated from decisive action. Not an Alexios Komnenos in this...
Genuinely the Lascarids are probably the most palatable option. A large, veteran army and fleet with a strong reputation among the lower classes. That said, the Lascarids won't be likely to leave once they are allowed in. Though they're more likely to be willing to negotiate some kind of power sharing agreement. That certainly has long precedent in the Roman system. It's maybe not a guarantee of stability for what would certainly be the junior partner, but that's a problem one has to be alive in order to address.
A Lascarid attempt at Constantinople likely sees both Stefan Dusan and the Angevins joining the fray. For that matter what Venice and Genoa would be doing is also a good question. Dealing with a strongly centralized state in Sicily and Greece is one thing. Said state swallowing the entire Byzantine empire and reforming it to their image is likely rather less palpable. So Theodore would be well advised to do whatever he likely does... carefully.
The only problem I see for the ere is the capital problem, the good news is that Constantinople isn't the bureaucratic monster that it was before the fourth crusade,but it is still a huge ass city And I don't see how it won't end badly.
Maybe it become an semi autonomous patriarch fief .
Maybe it will become like Naples after the riunification,where most jobs collapsed and the most educated moved ,others got to become massive bandits problem.
Fortunately geography Constantinople is not in the middle but on the outskirt of the ere.
It would probably collapse a bit of rule of law
around thrace and helping along or ruining the financial state of nearby Turkic beys.
"Bureaucratic monster" is one way to look at Constantinople. Great revenue making machine is another way to look at it. In 1348 the custom duties alone of Galata were 200,000 hyperpyra and Constantinople another 30,000. That's about 160,000 ducats a year... at a time Constantinople was a ghost of her former self and in the middle of a plague epidemic...
We are in 1341. I suppose that soon Robert will begin again negotiations for a betrothal: Alexandros is 15 and Maria 12. Fostering Maria in Syracuse and an official betrothal could be in the calendar.
Maria since 1332 is betrothed to Louis of Hungary. As long is Charles is alive and well there is no reason to believe the marriage will not happen. Agnes of Perigord trying to abduct Maria with Charles being Charles III king of Naples would be... shall we say a misjudged idea? Of course we have the third daughter, born in 1330 TTL who needs a name. Lets call her Helene like Charles half-sister. After all her birth is well before Robert would behead her namesake for daring to fall in love and marry Andrea Thopia.
I wonder if Anna of Savoy and Kantzakouzenos will send betrothal offers of their own. Maria-Irene Palaiologina is of the right age after all. Theodora Kantakouzene is younger but also a potential bride.
Presumidly Eirene who married Francesco Gatillusio. Maria is already tsarina of Bulgaria. On Kantakouzenos side you have Theodora and Helen, olthough John likely intends Helen for John V.
However, Alexandros and Palaiologina are way too close related for the orthodox tradition, so it would be quite problematic.
Adrienne would be Andronikos aunt. Which makes his daughters 5th degree relatives. Allowed by Roman law, the limit is in the 4th degree, not quite liked by the church which wants limit at the 7th degree. An interesting conundrum for John XIV.
Having said that, an Angevin marriage seems to offer many more political advantages over a Kantakouzenos marriage. First and foremose, Theodore doesn't have to go against his word with Robert. Moreover, the angevin marriage secures peace in Italy, while on the other side it will engulf the Catepanate in a war. Certainly, Charle's succession will be a clusterfuck, but Theodore cannot know the potential fate of Andrew.
But what Charles thinks of a Lascarid marriage? After all his wife also happens to be half-sister to Catherine of Courtenay (and Philip VI of France) and Walter VI of Brienne who has reason to dislike Theodore for grabbing his Greek lands also happens to be Charles vicar and be married to Charles first cousin. And they thought the Hapburgs were bad by the way...
One thing is certain: if Anna or Ioannis think of allying with the Aydinids - who are currently a major problem for the Catepanate, it won't go well with Theodore.
Kantakouzenos seems potentially more likely to do so than Anna given the close relations he already has with Umur.
Yeah, Andronikos III dying as per otl was expected, and it does mean the Lascarids are taking it all then... Anatolia sounds like its going be the battlegrounds when things go beyond 1400 ittl.

Barlaam calling Theodore his serenity is defo laying it thick lmao, and I do think that more and more people would be thinking that the Lascarids are the future of the ERE as time goes on (and as actions like Joanna's terrible reign and Louis of Hungary comes into Naples the Lascarids may very well be the main power in the region too), especially as the ERE falls into civil war and movements from Serbia or from various sultanates (I'd assume that Kantakozenos would do similar things as per otl).
But Barlaam has undeniable qualities. Hey the university of Syracuse is an important development! I short of wonder why people didn't really care about its establishment.
The Lascarids would probably have moved up Thessaly and secured the region, and would be fighting against the Serbians (and perhaps the Hungarians) already. If they win those engagements they immediately become the strongest element in ERE politics. The common folk, knowing of their victories and the power they would wield there would definitely flock to them and take over the 'common folk' element of the civil war, while Anna of Savoy and co move to work with the aristocracy. I could very well see Kantakozenos be sidelined in the civil war if things go well for them.
Invading Byzantine Thessaly is tantamount to going to war with the empire. Which doesn't mean Theodore might not do.
And frankly, moving the capital after staying in Constantinople for so long is a good idea. At this point the City has been the capital for over a thousand years. It has been the capital longer than Rome at this point, and changing the capital to Syracuse may be part of the rebirth and return of the Roman Empire in terms of power and influence.
Should I mention me the writer being Greek? So any interest in any Roman imperial rebirths being if we are talking about the Greek state of the Middle Ages? :p

Yea if they regain the Asian minor territories from the Turks , that's a big if ,if they don't regain those territories Constantinople become a port/fortress city not the capital.
The problem that I see is that the reconquista would be an ideal scenario , because they will have to stay focused on only that front that I don't see happening with sicily and the balkans fronts.
Plus if they regain the crown they would have to reform the state in their manner ,other obstacles.
In conclusion I don't see them regain Asia minor other the coastal regions.
The Ottomans just took the last imperial holdings in Anatolia. Perhaps talk of a reconquista is a little immature at the moment?
I think any talk about an orthodox Vatican is moot. The institutions of the ERE have developed for centuries and the concept of an ecclesiastical state is quite alien to both the elite and the general population. Any Byzantine monarch would first cut off his right arm before allowing the Patriarch temporal authority over Constantinople.
A cynic would claim that part of the reasons of the schism was a patriarch hoping to follow in the popes example. And that the church under the Ottomans had way more influence than any emperor ever let it have. Which was one of the reasons Gennadios became treasonous scum.
At the same time, the communes of Val di Mazara have the very successful paradigm of the communes in Val Demone and Val di Noto. Their eastern countrymen are not only prospering but are dominating the Parliament and have become the most important political stakeholder in the Despotate, after the monarch himself.

So, if there will be a war with the Angevins, I expect the communes to rise up with the old cry "Morte ai Francesi". Only this time, it will have a very distinct class element.
They have also experienced a decade of Lascarid armies giving them the Asia Minor/Balkans razzia treatment which is one of the reasons the place is a mess. Now even that had a class element, the despotate raids would be primarily targeting baronial mansions not peasant huts. Of course if East Sicilian raiders burned down your wheat crop because "sorry mate it's your king and barons who invaded us" that's small consolation.
Probably it would be a unofficial situation , where the emperor move court but the patriarch remains in Constantinople and does not have official Powers but a Hella soft power .
Plus I don't see the patriarch in general moving to Sicily, so I don't see the situation not deteriorating where the patriarch try to push buttons to see where are the limits of his influence.
The best analogy would be the situations that the emperors had with the others patriarchs before the Arab invasions only less about early heresies and more about sacrilegious behaviour social stuff.
Antioch and Alexandria were increasingly getting less influence to the gain of Constantinople and a main reason was where the capital was...

Honestly, what could be interesting could be the Safavids (or a Safavid-equivalent Empire set up by Sunni Turkmen or a Timurid prince), with the Ottomans getting smashed up more thoroughly by Tamerlane due to being more “Anatolian” without a Rumelia to flee to, becoming the hegemon of the Middle East.

Last edited:
That depends on the strength of the ruler and his administrative machine. For example Ottoman armies depended on Timariote cavalry during the entire period of conquest and Timars were little to no different from pronoia, often enough in the Balkans the former pronoia men turned into timariotes. Did not exactly hinder it from reaching Vienna...
It depends on who the aristocracy flocks to though, if the nobles leave for Anna Kantakozenos would be forced to find outside help (which I think is very likely given otl and the cards he's dealt), especially if Stefan Dusan goes for the conquest of Greece as per otl.
But what Charles thinks of a Lascarid marriage? After all his wife also happens to be half-sister to Catherine of Courtenay (and Philip VI of France) and Walter VI of Brienne who has reason to dislike Theodore for grabbing his Greek lands also happens to be Charles vicar and be married to Charles first cousin. And they thought the Hapburgs were bad by the way...
I think Robert would not think of something like this, he is the king of Naples after all. Keeping all his allies working together is more important in the long run, its not like Robert would predict that his realm would fall into ruin immediately after he's dead...

I could see Maria be kidnapped in response, which would be interesting though.
But Barlaam has undeniable qualities. Hey the university of Syracuse is an important development! I short of wonder why people didn't really care about its establishment.
It definitely is, and a University of Syracuse definitely cements Syracuse as an important capital, especially with Naples being under amiable (but not truly trusted) relations.
Invading Byzantine Thessaly is tantamount to going to war with the empire. Which doesn't mean Theodore might not do.
I don't see Theodore not marching forth and preventing Stefan Dusan from taking advantageous areas in Thessaly especially if the Serbs attack while the empire is in civil war. I'd think that he'd see the advantages of doing so outweighs the disadvantages.
Should I mention me the writer being Greek? So any interest in any Roman imperial rebirths being if we are talking about the Greek state of the Middle Ages? :p
The Hellenes call themselves 'Romaioi' though :p

There's a reason why the ERE's called the ERE, even though it's not Roman, not Eastern (at this point), and not an empire lol.

Seriously though I definitely see Greek (Syracusan) scholars seeing it this way if Syracuse is the capital of 'third Rome', since any prominent state claiming legitimacy under the ERE, especially with it being majority Greek would essentially be continuing the millennia-old tradition of building Greco-Roman empires in the region. It would be a nice parallel for the Lascarid that conquers Anatolia to decide to keep Syracuse as the capital.
They have also experienced a decade of Lascarid armies giving them the Asia Minor/Balkans razzia treatment which is one of the reasons the place is a mess. Now even that had a class element, the despotate raids would be primarily targeting baronial mansions not peasant huts. Of course if East Sicilian raiders burned down your wheat crop because "sorry mate it's your king and barons who invaded us" that's small consolation.
I think the communes would acquiesce if the Lascarids give them the space they need and don't raid them in exchange for fighting against the barons. It would be a hard thing to negotiate but its doable.
Honestly, what could be interesting could be the Safavids (or a Safavid-equivalent Empire set up by Sunni Turkmen or a Timurid prince), with the Ottomans getting smashed up more thoroughly by Tamerlane due to being more “Anatolian” without a Rumelia to flee to, becoming the hegemon of the Middle East.
A Timurid successor state surviving for much longer would be an interesting proposition, especially if said timurid successor basically holds influence over Mesopotamia (with the Egyptians as an ally. A cadet branch takes hold there?) and central Anatolia. It'd basically have similar borders to the Achaemenid Empire which is interesting on its own.

(with the Egyptians as an ally. A cadet branch takes hold there?)
Speaking of which, the fate of the Mamluks sans the Ottomans would be quite interesting, especially as even IOTL, the Mamluks were kept around by the Ottomans as the local nobility until Muhammad Ali purged them, though a network of Timurid realms from Egypt to Bengal and Deccan would be quite interesting,

Speaking of which, the fate of the Mamluks sans the Ottomans would be quite interesting, especially as even IOTL, the Mamluks were kept around by the Ottomans as the local nobility until Muhammad Ali purged them, though a network of Timurid realms from Egypt to Bengal and Deccan would be quite interesting,
if its a cadet branch the mamluks are probably dead, but if they are conquered by the potential timurid state they'd probably be kept around.

I do think a Persian timurid state that successfully switches to being a gunpowder empire would be a very interesting proposition, however, and if we get something like the Mughals being allied with a timurid Persian state would terrify the Europeans especially as the Lascarids would very much be part of Europe.

If the Serbians attack the ERE territory, Theodore is almost certain to occupy ERE Thessaly "to protect the people from the invading barbarians". Hell, he might even be invited to do so by the local population.

If the Serbians attack the ERE territory, Theodore is almost certain to occupy ERE Thessaly "to protect the people from the invading barbarians". Hell, he might even be invited to do so by the local population.
Yeah I think that's what's gonna happen if Stefan comes for Thessaly, and I think Theodore would attempt to force the Epirotes under Lascarid dominion too. I could see a battle between Theodore and Stefan occur in Epirus.

Maria since 1332 is betrothed to Louis of Hungary. As long is Charles is alive and well there is no reason to believe the marriage will not happen. Agnes of Perigord trying to abduct Maria with Charles being Charles III king of Naples would be... shall we say a misjudged idea? Of course we have the third daughter, born in 1330 TTL who needs a name. Lets call her Helene like Charles half-sister. After all her birth is well before Robert would behead her namesake for daring to fall in love and marry Andrea Thopia.
So, there is a good chance that an angevin marriage won't take place. The Tarantines are more powerful now with Brienne being the Vicar of Val di Mazara. While he held the signoria of Florence in OTL, control of half of Sicily that's an actual part of the Regno make him more influential in the neapolitan court.

There might be a good chance that Robert negotiates a betrothal, only for Charles and the Tarantines to break it.

This is the pre-1900 forum. Half the reason it exists is pondering over marriage alliances.

In a more serious note, such university will become the vanguard of the Renaissance since it will be the entry point of greek literature in Italy. From a political perspective, a university that produces a greek-speaking mass of literati will ensure the further hellenization of the Despotate's elites.

Kantakouzenos seems potentially more likely to do so than Anna given the close relations he already has with Umur.
That would be a red flag for Theodore in Syracuse and especially Michael in Athens. At this point. the turkish raids have increased in destructiveness. I doubt that the Catepanate will pay tribute to Umur as it seems some Latins in the Aegean did in OTL and it will be tough to stop most raids at sea, even with Chios and Samos as bases against Smyrna and Ephesus. As long as the Aydinids control the asiatic shore and with a friendly Empire in the north, they will have a significant freedom of action.

That will certainly be the case for many. However, considering that in past updates it seems that there was an exodus of peasants towards the Despotate, such notion might not be that widespread, especially when the Lascarids were not the only ones raiding, with Angevins and the local barons pulling their own weight.

There also might be intra-commune distinctions between the old burghers and newer refugees. When it comes to envy of the lascarid communes' political privileges, I guess it would make sense that such notion will be mostly present to the local established urban elites, the merchants and the guilds.

Speaking of social element, there are certain political groups in Thessaloniki that might be friendly to the Lascarids. We know that there were organized guilds , and at least two of them (sailors and dockworkers) organized before 1342, since they played a significant role in the Zealot movement. Then we have the masons, saltworkers, perfumers and butchers. There was a pattern of separatism in Thessaloniki, since in 1322 the people had driven the governor Constantine Palaiologos out of the city. Also, when the governor John Palaiologos declared the city independent, it doesn't seem that there was a revolt of the people,

It seems that the sailors and dockworkers who were important stakeholders in 1342, would be friendly towards the commercial power that is the Lascarid Despotate. Likewise, the other guilds have reason to prefer the Lascarids. It seems that these two groups were the major power behind the movement and its leaders (Andreas and Michael Palaiologos, John Kokalas).

In OTL the city returned to the imperial fold only well the situation deteriorated to the point where the choice was between being ruled by John VI or Stefan Dušan.

Last edited:
This cultural, political decision would help to make official and cement the role of the Sicilian Greek language as a prestigious one. Along with the Latin in higher education and for years to come a welcomed boost of cultural prestige for both Syracuse and the Despotate.
Also, and if as appear probable that if not all, that most of its most important, prestigious lessons/courses may be being taught in Greek A possible, unintended/unforeseen consequence, might be that it might help to widespread the knowledge of not only the classical Greek and its texts (with more accurate/authorized translations). But also, perhaps, too, from the more vernacular Koine Greek as currently is being spoken in the ERE and its Anatolians former territories.
But, this foundation/establishment of a University makes me wonder if it even if it was done by a monk if it still would be a secular institution or under religious control or if it would have autonomy like its western counterparts. Or if it as appears probable would be founded and organized having as a model to the ERE Constantinople Pandidakterion...
Also, I think possible that following the university and/or as direct result of it, perhaps in some time later would be followed by both the Syracuse Library (modeled after the Eastern Romans/Byzantines ones) and even perhaps its own Translators School like the Toledo one, in Castile...

Since we are in 1341, there is another major development in Epirus: the revolt of the albanian clans around Pogoniani and Livisda. It seems that neither side of the civil war sent an army to help Epirus in OTL. It is very interesting that while we know that at some point by 1346 Dusan had conquered Ioannina, there is not a single mention of a siege or resistance in general. Yet Ioannina was a major stronghold. The city was located at a peninsula, surrounded in three sides by the lake. At the same time, there were marshes inland that almost made Ioannina an island. An army camped in the malarial marshes would have a tough time besieging the place. And apparently there was no siege at all. My educated guess would be that the city was under pressure from the migratory pastoral clans and welcomed the Serbians as protectors. It also seems that Dusan had respected the privileges and institutions of the city, something that also indicates a peaceful acquisition. If anything, the Senate and the Assembly (Boule) of the town continued to exist.

In conclusion, it would seem plausible to me that since Ioannina is under pressure, it might seek assistance from the Catepanate across the Pindus Mountains. After all, the leading families of the city included the branches of Vatatzes and Philanthropenos that were separated from their Despotate relatives in 1204. After a century and a half they might "remember" their familial ties when the Albanian clansmen are burning their estates and blockading their city. Hypocricy is a fact of politics after all.

Last edited:
Part 54
Adrianople, October 27th, 1341

The nobles had received the messengers announcing Ioannis Kantakouzenos taking up the imperial purple well. The same could not be said about the commoners who had revolted overnight, taken control of the city and called for support from Constantinople. Apokaukos was all too happy to provide it, placing his own son John as the new governor of the city. Over the following weeks the same pattern would manifest itself in most other cities of the empire which would come under the control of the regency. Come November 19th, the regents would crown little John as Ioannis V bringing any hopes of a compromise between the two sides to their end.

Athens, March 1342

Michael Philanthropenos, katepano of Hellas stopped reading the letter from his cousin at Syracuse. Not unsurprising Theodore was advising him to remain neutral for the time being unless the despotate was attacked by either faction of the civil war. It was if anything unsurprising. Theodore had had close ties to both Kantakouzenos and Andronikos III. Choosing to fight either against his friend or the son of his friend were no good choices. As long as there were no state reasons to get involved in the civil war.

Thessaloniki, May 1342

The previous months had been a great frustration for Kantakouzenos as city after city of the empire had sided with the regency despite the support of the aristocracy for him. But now Thessaloniki's governor, Theodore Synadenos wanted to proclaim his support for him. This was not an opportunity Kantakouzenos could let go so he marched with his army west. But if Synadenos and the aristocrats planned on joining Ioannis VI, the lower classed were of a different opinion. Thessaloniki rose in successful revolt against the aristocrats the people's party calling themselves the zealots. The zealots would proclaim their loyalty to the regency with Apokaukos coming to their aid at the head of a fleet of 70 ships and installing his second son as the governor. But in effect Thessaloniki would govern itself no different than an Italian or Sicilian commune. Ioannis VI thwarted once more would flee to Stefan Dusan's court in July. But the civil war was hardly over. In late summer Kantakouzenos would be back with an army of some 2,000 mercenaries provided by Dusan but his attack on Serres would fail.

Chios, July 1342

After nearly two years of work the refurbishment and reinforcement of the castle of Chios was over at a cost of nearly 40,000 Sicilian hyperpyra. The cost was hardly comperable to the 531,000 hyperpyra that had been spent over the previous eighteen years fortifying Athens and Piraeus virtually from scratch but was still no little amount, the Sicilian hyperpyron equalled the ducat in value. But Chios was the centerpiece of the despotate's power in the Aegean and economically important thanks to her exports of mastic and citrus fruits bringing the treasury some 86,000 hyperpyra in tax revenues every year. It was no surprise either that the population of the island had grown to nearly 24,000 people over the past four decades nor that the despotate made sure to protect it with a strong garrison and galleys based on it on a permanent basis and aggressively patrolling against pirates.

Hungary, July 1342

Louis of Anjou, succeeded his father as king of Hungary. A few months later on the advice of his mother Elizabeth of Poland he would marry the seven year old Margaret of Bohemia instead of Maria of Anjou. Breaking the betrothal wouldn't go down particularly well in Naples...

Thessaly, November 1342

The province, or rather its part under Byzantine control declared for Kantakouzenos. Ioannis VI would lose no time appointing John Angelos as governor. It would prove the right choice as Angelos would soon seize control of Epirus as well. But Macedonia and Thrace remained for the most part controlled by the regency.

Dydimoteichon, December 1342

Umur of Aydin forced the army of the regency to lift the siege of the Kantakouzenos capital. after putting a garrison in th e city to defend it against a renewed siege by the regents he left again for Anatolia. But his intervention on the side of Kantakouzenos would raise alarm bells in Constantinople and Syracuse...

Naples, January 1343

Charles III of Anjou succeeded his father Robert the Wise as king of Sicily. The new king would proceed to break the negotiations Robert had begun to betroth his younger daughter Helene with Alexandros Doukas Lascaris marrying her with Walter VI of Brienne instead, while marrying his middle daughter Maria to her cousin Philip of Taranto. Both marriages and the breaking of the betrothal negotiations would raise the alarm in Syracuse. It appeared Charles III was not entirely happy with the marriage choices his father had made for his daughters, if Theodore's spies were to be trusted his relations with his son in law Andrew of Hungary were anything but good.

Constantinople, August 1343

The war was not going well for the regency. Earlier in the year Umur of Aydin had brought 200 ships and an army of 6,000 men in support of Kantakouzenos in Macedonia, where the forces of the two allies had besieged Thessaloniki, but failed to take it in the face of determined Zealot resistance. But the two allies had secured Macedonia, the parts not grabbed by Stefan Dusan at least and advanced into Thrace. Anne of Savoy had turned to the west for aid but to no avail. Monemvasiot ships had broken the Turkish blockade of Thessaloniki, bringing supplies to the city and were now doing the same with Umur's blockade of the straits bringing Thessalian and Sicilian grain to Constantinople but Theodore was failing to directly join the war, at least he had failed to join Kantakouzenos either when the latter had refused to break his alliance with Aydin. But in the meantime Anne needed money. And thus she pawned the Byzantine crown jewels to Theodore for 30,000 ducats...

Syracuse, December 1343

Maria of Anjou, Ioannis Vatatzes widow succumbed to a short illness, With her dead, her claim to the principality of Achaea was inherited by her nephew Charles III...

Last edited:
Charles III is all but begging Louis of Hungary and the Lascarids to make common cause here. I'm not sure that's wise. Though Theodore is going to have multiple crises/opportunities to juggle.

Last edited:
Ioannis VI thwarted once more would flee to Stefan Dusan's court in July. But the civil war was hardly over. In late summer Kantakouzenos would be back with an army of some 2,000 mercenaries provided by Dusan but his attack on Serres would fail.
I believe the bolded part is supposed to be Kantakouzenos? Otherwise, nice update. :)

It seems an alliance between the Hungarians and the Despotate is around the corner. Now that the Angevin bethothal has been cancelled, which are the possible future bribes for Alexandros Doukas Lascaris? Is there any ERE princess available? Or a Hungarian one perhaps?
The Despotate will respond th the threat posed by Umur of Aydin sooner or later, I foresee one of the greatest sea battles of TTL. However, it will not do it alone, the Hospitalers, the ERE and the Venetians seem as potential allies in this struggle. Perhaps the Genovese too.